Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pin-Hole Camera


The Pin-hole Camera project was a very exciting project which I believe had everyone on their feet from the very beginning. The fact alone that we actually had to construct our own camera, gate shutter and all, from raw materials made the whole process fun and something to look forward too. Granted we were all new to building your own custom still camera, it was clear that the end results would be sporadic, unique, and trail and error of sorts.

Although I do really like the design and body of our matchbox pin-hole cameras, I have attached a few of the custom pin-hole cameras that I came across online that I found pretty interesting and cool:

At first glance at the examples we were shown of the pictures the pin-hole camera could take, I was instantly reminded of the iPhone Instamatic application which creates retro pictures. The pin-hole camera pictures all seemed to have a sort of nostalgia feel to them, with a vignetting quality mixed with strange color rendition and overexposure.

I was not absolutely positive how my pin-hole camera pictures would come out for various reasons but when I got my photos back I was pleasantly surprised. Although I did not get of the environment really, I did capture an nostalgia in a sense with obscure and fragmented pictures.

To tell the truth I feel that a lot of the way my pin-hole camera pictures came out paralleled the ideas of Cymatic artwork and work of Norman McLaren. I have attached some of the pictures from my pin-hole camera assignment.


In summation the pin-hole camera process is another tool I can put on my belt and hopefully incorporate in future projects. It is vast the amount one could say or express through the perspective of a pin-hole and by honing a skill-set and discipline with the limitations this camera surrenders, a great vantage point could be gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment